Thursday, February 12, 2009

Kaylynn's Scary Experience

Sorry we haven't posted for a little while. It is amazing just how quickly the time flies. Looking at the date on the calendar today we are now at just about the middle of February.

I would like to thank our families for being there for us! Monday January 26 was a crazy day for our family. Especially for Kaylynn. Emotionally and physically draining.

Kaylynn the prior Thursday wasn't feeling well. She was sick, which for me was surprising because our family has had the flu shot. Over that weekend she was fine so I assumed it was just a twenty four hour bug.

Monday was a different story. I begin my workday very early (four am) so I wasn't home when Kaylynn first began complaining about how she was feeling. She told her dad that she felt her tummy cramping and was uncomfortable. Todd asked if she wanted to stay home from school. Her reply was no---our children don't like to miss school at all! She went and at about nine that morning the school called and asked me to come pick up Kaylynn because she had been vomiting and not feeling well. About ten minutes later Kaylynn came to me bent over and barely able to walk, complaining of her right side hurting really bad. I immediately thought appendicitis. I loaded her up into the car and drove over to the insta care. After signing in the thought came to mind, if this is appendicitis the insta care will be unable to help because they don't have ultrasound. I told the ladies at the desk my thoughts about Kaylynn and to never mind checking me in. We left and headed to Primary Children's. She was checked in about 10:00am and after about half hour of waiting admitted into a room. They had Kaylynn rate her pain 0-10 with 10 being the worst pain in her life, which she told the nurse was a 10. The nurse and doctor both decided morphine was neccessary and began looking for a vein they could start IV and morphine in. Kaylynn was dehydrated so it took the nurse about 15 minutes to get the needle into her hand. The morphine wasn't helping so they gave her another dose and she finally fell asleep. Every few minutes Kaylynn would writh in pain. It was so hard to sit by her watching the pain in her face (especially her eyes). I knew she was in alot of pain and I wished I could have taken her place.

Heavenly Father gives each of us trials for our faith to grow. I know this was not only a test for me, to watch my daughter suffer, but also for Kaylynn in learning how to cope with what was happening to her at that moment in time.

I kept Todd updated on Kaylynn's progress and we decided it was time he come to the hospital to be with us. The hospital couldn't do an ultrasound till she had a full bladder. Once she finished a full bag of IV fluid, they asked Kaylynn to keep them posted of when she needed to use the restroom (of course discouraging the use of the restroom). The nurse also couldn't decide if she should start another bag and said lets just wait and see.

Kaylynn finally felt the pressure and urge within her bladder so I notified the nurse. They took all of us to the ultrasound room. Todd and I both tried to comfort Kaylynn, she was in alot of pain and the pressure was only adding to the pain. The technician kept looking at her ovaries and then called a radiologist doctor into the room to ask if she should look at the appendix or just stay with the pictures they had. Todd and I kept looking at each other trying to figure out what was on the screen. The doctor said yes and then said, ok, take her back to her room I will notify her attending doctor.

It was only a couple minutes later when back in our room that the doctor came in. Kaylynn had a right ovary torsion. Her right ovary had turned on itself 360 + 180 degrees and the blood supply to the ovary was cut off. Kaylynn would need emergency surgery to untwist the ovary and restore blood flow. They were hoping the ovary would not be dead or damaged.

First thought was why? How? What about her fertility future? Would my little daughter when grown up be able to still have children, and would it have to be with a chance using only one ovary? So many thoughts and emotions.

I called my mom to keep her posted. She asked if I would like dad to come and be with us and to assist Todd in giving Kaylynn a blessing. Of course! I am very blessed and comforted to know Todd and my Father are both worthy and willing to provide blessings.

Dad and Todd gave Kaylynn a blessing and not long after that she was feeling alot better. I think the morphine was finally helping her. We continued to watch movies in the room and wait for an operating room to open up. Kaylynn went into surgery at 5:45pm. I paced the floors. My mom came up, so I went for a walk to bring her up to the waiting area. The doctor came in about 45 minutes later and told us the surgery went well. He was able to untwist the ovary, restore blood flow, and her ovary returned to a nice pink color. He was very confident they saved her ovary.

Dad and Mom, thanks for being there with Todd and I. We love and appreciate you! Kaylynn says thank-you for the nice cuddly heart shape pillow. Kaylynn sleeps with it every night now.

Kaylynn was a trooper and woke up from surgery eager to see us. She did really well and kept her over night. I stayed with her. Her sisters and brother missed her very much.


Kaylynn's incision sites, each side of her belly button and inside her belly button.

Kaylynn home from the hospital, relaxing and watching tv. Thanks Claybaugh family for the big balloon bouquet and teddy bear.

Kaylynn had her ultrasound and checkup at Primary Children's yesterday. The technician said Kaylynn looked so much better than the last time she saw her. We then saw the doctor and was told her ovary looked great and that her incision sites were healing nicely. Kaylynn was even more excited to be released to enjoy recess again. She missed a week of school and about three weeks of recess.

Thanks to our family, ward, and friends. We appreciate your prayers and support. We love all of you!!!!!!

6 comments:

*Amy* said...

I'm so glad she is okay and that everything went well. It's scary to see your kids go through things like that. She sounds like a tough girl!

Dale and Tabitha said...

That is good that everything was caught because of a mothers instinct. What a scary thing to go through for such a little girl. She is beautiful by the way. Is she able to play at recess yet?

FAB SIX said...

Yesterday was her first day back to recess in three weeks. She is excited to be able to play again, but not this week...lol because it has been cold and snowing.

She is soooo cute, I just love her attitude!

This is Us! said...

I'm sure glad she's feeling so much better...I can't even imagine how scary that must of been for all of you!

The Powells said...

im so glad she is doing so good now...bless her little heart. give her my love.

Cary said...

Wow, I need to check this more! Grandma told me about her ovary but didn't tell me it required surgery! I am SO glad all went well! Kaylynn is a trooper!

Also, I should be at your party on Saturday!! Thanks for the invite!

Blog Archive