Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Young Women in Excellence

The past couple of months Kierstie and Cozette have been working hard on one of their projects (for personal progress). For this years Young Women in Excellence the girls decided they would like to do a value fashion show. Each value has an assigned color.

Faith=White
I am a daughter of Heavenly Father, who loves me. I have faith in His eternal plan, which centers on Jesus Christ, my Savior.
Divine Nature-Blue
I have inherited divine qualities, which I will strive to develop.
Individual Worth=Red
I am of infinite worth with my own divine mission, which I will strive to fulfill.
Knowledge=Green
I will continually seek opportunities for learning and growth.
Choice and Accountability=Orange
I will choose good over evil and will accept responsibility for my decisions.
Good Works=Yellow
I will help others and build the kingdom through righteous service.
Intregity=Purple
I will have the moral courage to make my actions consistent with my knowledge of right and wrong.

During the value fashion show Cozette chose to wear and represent the color Blue, which is Divine Nature. Kierstie chose to wear and represent the color Green, which is Knowledge.



The next part of the fashion show the girls modeled dresses they had either re-designed or altered to be more modest. I will admit I was nervous of this project for a couple of reasons. I was nervous that something wouldn't go right and these beautiful dresses would be ruined, luckily the dresses were donated to the girls. My other reason for being nervous is that I don't sew alot (I learned when I was in jr high and high school, but never kept up) and was unsure of how to help the girls sew or rather alter the dresses to be both modest and to fit the girls.

I am very thankful and appreciative of the time Sister Lyman spent with each of my daughters. Both girls spent quite a few days at Sister Lymans house over the period of a month or so working on their dresses. Kierstie over 10 hours and Cozette about 24 hours. They both enjoyed this project and now both have a beautiful dress they can wear to one of their future dances when the time comes for dating.

Kierstie didn't need to alter her dress much. It has spaghetti straps so to make this beautiful navy blue dress modest, she picked out a beautiful blue contrast with sparkles to sew a jacket she could where over the dress.


Cozette had to alter her dress alot. First it was way to big. Seams were taken out of the dress, bust line was gathered, and seams and hemline sewn so that the dress would fit more to her size. With the extra material cut away from the dress, Cozette made beautiful shoulder cuff sleeves for the dress. The dress was beautifully altered, but Cozette also wanted to make a jacket to go with it for contrasting color. She chose a very nice red satin material as well as a black lace material and combined them both to create the jacket.


I have to share this picture too. Cozy is just to little to have two nice young men help her down the stairs so she won't trip and fall.


Both girls love to sew and I am very proud of the fine work they did. The dresses are beautiful and the night of the fashion show when I saw them it brought tears to my eyes to see just how beautiful they are. One day they will knock someones socks off. Todd and I have our work cut out to keep the boys away. LOL!

The night was beautiful and it was nice to reflect on the theme which was chosen. Hold fast to this thought. "I am a Daughter of God".
...in every thought
...in every word
...in every deed.

I am very thankful that Dad and I both were available to attend. We are very proud and love you both!

1 comments:

Cary said...

They both look SOOOOOOOOOOOOo cute!! The dress cover-ups look awesome! I still cannot believe how old they are getting!
Love you guys!

Blog Archive