Thursday, August 7, 2008

We all survived YW Girls Camp

One of my callings in church (which I love, actually I love all my callings) is YW Camp Director. I have always loved girls camp and it is a pleasure to be able to share this passion with my children now. Before moving to this neighborhood I have only served as YW Camp Assistant. The year we moved into the Taylorsville 39th Ward in 2006 I was called to go to YW Girls Camp as an assistant. Then last year and this year I have served as YW Camp Director. I would love to have this calling forever. I love to camp, the mountains, the young women, etc.

The past couple of months have been great getting ready for this trip. The theme was B.O.O.T (Building On Our Testimonies). Our ward was the 39th Platoon. We took about 253 pics at camp, but I will share just a handful.



Our mascott was tree frogs. I found pink camouflage with green frog material and we made pajama pants as well as green beanie hats. Her are some of the girls in the beanie hats and wearing the pj's.











The night before camp I was finishing last minute errands that I needed before packing. The last store was dollar tree (near our house) and the car would not start to go back home, with a message display of Starter Disabled. I lost it. Crying and was asking myself, why? The night before camp and what was I going to do. I called Todd to come over and try and help me. We ended up calling our nephew Mike (thanks so much) to help us tow the van back home (he is a tow driver for Cottonwood Towing, in case any of you would like to have him help you in the future). The message usually will display when something triggers the anti-theft. He thought maybe it would reset. Todd's mom let us trade cars (our Honda for her van) so I could at least get the girls and family up to girls camp. Thanks mom!!! The morning of camp Todd tried the car and it worked so we loaded up everything to head over to the church. When everything was loaded and I put the key in the ignition and again nothing. Ugh. So we unloaded everything from our van into mom's van instead. We decided it would be better this way and that we would deal with the van trouble upon our return from camp.


This year was special for me. Todd went as a priesthood representative, so thus my whole family was able to go to camp with me. Kierstie and Cozy are already in YW, but Kaylynn and Cameron came with as well. It was fun to have them with us. They got right in with the girls and were learning the camp songs. They participated in everything we did.


Cameron and Kaylynn helped Todd and I set up our tent. I love camp Timberlane. Alpine Fir is my favorite spot within Camp Timberlane.


Here is the rest of our camp spot.









Our first night we had dinner with the stake. This was a surprize for all of us because we didn't know what dinner was going to be. Each ward was to bring three dozen cookies for dessert. We paired up with a buddy (Kaylynn was my buddy). We walked thru the line for our dinner which was a M.R.E (Meal Ready to Eat). These kits are given to the military personnel every three days as their meals. You cook the meals yourself with everything in the kit. Our kit was spaghetti. It was fun to do, but definately made you humble and grateful for the food we enjoy everyday. I forgot to take my camera with me so I am unable to post pics. After cooking and eating our food, which was like eating from your 72 hour kit, we made homemade vanilla ice cream in zip lock bags. Yummy. Kaylynn and I did a great job making our ice cream. It was frozen just right for us to enjoy. Dad and Cameron's ice cream was a little on the milk/slushy side...lol.

Here is our group from the 39th Platoon (minus Trish (YW Pres), Brother and Sister Durrans our cooks, and myself (I am taking the picture).

Jenn and Emily were my lovely assistants. Thanks for all your help during camp with certification and just being there. You are both amazing.

1st Year (Recruits) Hattie, April, and Cozette
2nd Year (Privates) Kiana
3rd Year (Corporals) Kierstie, Jodi, Jayme, and Kathy
4th Year (Sargents) Krysal and Mekayla
5th Year (1st Leuitenant) Ariane
6th Year (2nd Leuitenants) Cheryl and Jinny



On our first night we enjoyed getting to know everyone in the stake through cadences. Our cadence was fun to learn and chant at every opportunity.


Left...Left
I left my phone and ipod at home
To come to the woods
I feel so alone
Did I do right...Right
(Leaders) Right my ladies
(Youth) We love tree frogs



We played Espirit de Corp games.











This game was fun. Some would walk around while saying a phrase then stop in front of someone to dance silly. Each person doing the silly dance would switch places. Here are some of the pics.











Thursday activities were certification for all levels. In the afternoon we rotated between activites of lazer tag, an obstacle course (walking on beam, running thru tires, throwing airplane thru hula hoop, moving rubber ducky in rain gutter of water while blowing air thru a straw, swinging on rope over muddy water, hitting a tank with a water balloon grenade, crawling under a limbo stick, hopping on one foot back across beam), and water balloon toss thru hula hoop up high. Here are some of those highlights.





















Thursday night was our skit. Camp Director's picked from a hat. Our skit was Hannah Montana characters in the Coast Guard. We love skits! Everyone participated. The girls even gave Kaylynn and Cameron a part.

Kierstie was Lily, Cozette was Hannah, Kaylynn was Sarah, and Cameron was Uncle Earl.














Friday we went on our hike.










That afternoon we made fleece blankets that the soldiers of unit 142 can give to the children of afghanistan. We also wrote letters to the soldiers.

Friday night was our last night at camp. Bishop Lesko came up for Stake Devotional. After that we returned to our ward camp and held our camp testimony meeting. It was a very spiritual conclusion to camp.

On Saturday I presented our ward bead to the girls. A dog tag.
YW B.O.O.T Camp
2008
D.O.G
Daughter of God

During camp I had different acroynms for camp a thought in mind for each.
POW=Person of Worth
MIA=Missionary in Action
FROG=Forever Remember Your Good Works.



3 comments:

zeebee said...

OH my goodness, I get tired thinking of all the thought and time and preparation you did to make this work! You are amazing! Sounds like such a great time, I loved going to camp as a teen. Sounds like they had some awesome memories, love the acronyms!

The Powells said...

WOW...what a great girls camp!! nice work

Cary said...

How fun!!! These pictures are great! What a fun thing that the whole fam got to go!!

Blog Archive